Friday, June 24, 2011

What are Green Beans anyway? ... and a Mexican Truck Driver

One night in the recent past, I opened a Tupperware container that was in our fridge and leftover green beans were in it. So, not really being hungry, I decided to take a bite - not sure why. They were so good, I ate all what was in the container. As I chewed and swallowed I thought.....What are Green Beans anyway?
The pod is green, the little balls inside are green. They don't look like a red bean or white bean or pint bean.
Why don't we call them green pods?
So I looked up the green bean on the web.
Green beans - a.k.a. French beans or Runner beans - "are the unripe fruit of any kind of bean, including the yardlong bean, the hyacinth bean, the winged bean, and especially the common bean, whose pods are also usually called string beans in the northeastern United States, but can also be called snap beans." from Wikipedia
Green beans are found in two major groups, bush beans and pole beans.
There are over 130 varieties of snap beans. WOW. Snap Snap.
I love Green Beans.
Oh, the Green Beans and the Mexican Truck driver have nothing to do with each other, but I figured it would get your attention.
My drivers bring loads to the Texas/Mexico border. there, a Mexican driver comes across with an empty trailer and my driver swaps trailers with the Mexican driver. On Wednesday when we made the swap, the Mexican driver handed my guy a DOT (Dept. of Transportation) write up. It had nothing to do with us, but the Mexican guy had no clue what it said or what to do with it.
The driver from the Mexican transport company, Transportes Lopez E Hijos Sa De, was written up for .....and I quote...."Driver must be capable of reading and speaking the English Language, sufficiently to converse with the general public." Now, before you laugh, this is an actual rule in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation Handbook. It is under Section 391.11(b)(2).
If you ever get one of these books, you should check it out. There are many interesting items in it.

And while I am at it. Not all truck drivers are bad, so before you listen to some of those lawyers on those TV commercials, check out the entire situation. At the same time, I will admit, there are some drivers out there that should scare the general public.

Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment