Monday, June 27, 2011

Messin With The Man ... The Telemarketing Man (or Woman)

You're relaxing on the sofa after a hard work day. You're feeling the chill then the phone rings. You answer it and immidiately wish you hadn't. It is the dreaded telemarketer on the other end. Do you hang up? Do you politely say no? Do you listen to the sales pitch? Or do you have a little fun? For a long time I used to hope for those calls. I had lots of fun with the folks on the other line. I was never rude. I just had fun. Some of the telemarketers laughed with me. Some didn't care for it. Some just sort of kept going on their sales pitch. I never, however, reached my goal. My goal was to have one of the telemarketers hang up on me. I felt I had a right to mess with them because back in the day I used to do telemarketing for radio. Of course I called businesses not homes. And it was still hard.
So I do feel for telemarketers.
Today - on my office phone - I had the same call from a credit card company. They act like they are calling from your credit card company. Knowing it was baloney I hung up the first time. The second time I couldn't help myself. When the guy came on I started speaking ChiJapVietnamese (my version of the Asian language).
It was funny. But you know - I didn't get the joy out of it that I used to.
Am I maturing? Am I feeling for the telemarketer?
I don't know. Maybe I will do the respectable thing and politely say no thanks. Or let the answering machine earn it's money.

No comments:

Post a Comment