Monday, June 20, 2011

Planned Obsolescence

Planned Obsolescence - I first heard this term a long time ago when I sold knives for Cutco. Actually I sold for Vector Marketing. That was a job that literally made my stomach hurt. But it was a wee bit fun at times. I actually was the third top seller in the South for one quarter. Then I ran out of friends and family to sell to. I remember one of the dudes talking to us at a conference always used the term "Poss" (as in positive). He used it so much I think I felt negative towards him. They taught us to talk about other knife companies using planned obsolescence when it came to their knives. I will say this - we still have our Cutco knives. But this blog isn't about knives at all.
It is about the Dental world. I had a crown pop off the other day. It actually took the whole tooth and it just came out of my jaw. The screws that held the crown in place on the tooth broke. Don't worry. It never hurt. I immediately thought of planned obsolescence. Could it be? Does the dental world use "not so tough" cement? I don't know. I doubt it. It could be my imagination. I actually started this post this morning in the dental chair waiting for the dentist to cement my tooth/crown back in. He came in acting weird. I wonder I he was reading over my shoulder.
In any case. Dentist probably do their best to fix it right the first time. But they sure are not cheap.
Also today. I had to get a lecture on not scheduling my cleanings. Hmmmmmm more money.

No comments:

Post a Comment