Friday, June 3, 2011

Hate is such a strong word. But is it ok when it comes to plumbing?

Toilet woes. Well were do we start? A looooooong while ago our toilet in the front bathroom started to "run". You know that heart wrenching sound ...... Shshshshshshshsheeeeeewwww ...... So the obvious problem. The flapper. Or depending where you are from Da Flappa. (flap on flap off .... The flappa). So I changed the flapper. yep. The toilet still ran. So I figured the flapper I bought was "malfunctioned". So I bought another flapper then another. Same result. So after talking to many " home plumbers" I agreed that the gasket that the drain tube is on top of must be bad. So off to the store. About 30 bucks later I come home with all sorts of plumbing parts. Well vacation was looming. Alaska. So I figured " hey. Why stress about plumbing now. Wait until we get back from the AK". ( by the way. After flushing the commode I would just turn the water off. Awesome ). So we have a wonderful Kodiak Alaska vacation. We come home. Get back in the swing if things - sort of. And it is time to "tackle the terlet" I take the tank off of the toilet. That took forever. Have you ever tried to take a tank off of a comode that has been there for awhile? Enough said. So Loooooooooooooooong story short. I change gaskets. I change gaskets again. I put old gaskets on. I use silicone. I keep telling my wonderfully patient wife " I have one more thing to try". Etc. Etc. Etc. ( an IHOP commercial just came on the tv while typing this. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I have no clue what program is on the tube. But that IHOP ad got my attention) anyway back to the toilet. So I keep thinking it through. When I wake up at night I think about how to stop the " running" and the large leak that I have at least reduced to a small, very small leak. ( hey at least I wake up thinking of plumbing instead of work). So finally. I throw in the chips. Throw in the towel. Kick the dirt. Say " awwwe shucks". Call a plumber. Then for some unforeseen reason. We cancel the plumber. A sign? Back to the thinking. More thoughts. Man if a plumber can do it I should be able to. Well the good news ............. A plumber is coming. I hope I can re post and say the toilet woes are OVER. We shall see.
So 2 thoughts. 1 I am tired. 2. I wish I was a better "home plumber" and 3 (hey I know I said 2 thoughts but it is my blog )3- I am craving IHOP. And 4. To the question of the title. Is hate a strong word when it xomes to plumbing. Probably yes. So I will say I strongly dislike plumbing. Is that the same thing?

2 comments:

  1. For the record. The plumber came out today. The culprit of our leaking toilet - a little hose hanging too far into the tube so a ten cent clip fixed the problem. So a ten cent clip A. K. A. a $145.00 plumbing bill plus about 50 bucks in parts I bought trying to fix the problem. Gotta LOVE it!!!!!!!!!
    Yes I am laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Wade, I'm laughing with ya'! And I think we can "hate" plumbing problems. I just had my washer go out, didn't want to drain, and since I had had a blockage before and I watched the plumber do it, I knew we could take the front off the washer and at least check it out. But I had already thought about ditching the washer and just getting a new one (checked the prices and the one I really wanted is $1000)! So I decided we would check the insides first. Doyle took it all apart, blew the the hoses, no blockages, and checked the pump to see if anything blocking it, NADA. Put it all back together, put some water in and hit final spin - voila, it drained! Thank you, Lord, for saving me $1000 -- at least for now! I love my washer just as it is! LOL!

    ReplyDelete