Tuesday, July 14, 2009

When Every Song is Good

For me, when I come across a record where every song is good, I get keyed up. This occurrence does not happen every day, but it does happen. When I say all songs are good, I mean good. I don’t mean 4 or 5 or great, a few are good and the rest are so-so.
I mean all songs are REAL GOOD.
Thanks to Sirius Satellite radio (which I don’t have anymore – I had a free trial when we bought the car), I was “turned on” to a few bands I have never heard of.
Two of which had recent albums that rank in the above-mentioned category.
Joining the likes of 10,000 Maniacs’ In My Tribe from 1897; Matthew Sweet’s 1995 release 100% Fun; Cocoon Crash, the 1998 album by K’s Choice; and Third Eye Blind’s self titled 1997 record Third Eye Blind are two splendid 2008 records.
Coming To Terms by Carolina Liar and Only By The Night by Kings Of Leon are two of my favorite records of all time and they are new. I first heard “Show Me What I’m Looking For” by Carolina Liar and loved the song immediately. The song “Sex on Fire” by Kings of Leon (don’t worry – don’t let the title fool you into thinking it is a vulgar or bad song) sort of struck me the same way, but not as much.
I downloaded the 2 records plus Kings of Leon’s previous 3 releases on Rhapsody.
Coming To Terms instantaneously became one of my preferred records to listen to.
As much as I like “Show Me What I’m Looking For” (I actually quoted part of the lyrics in a message at church), I enjoy some of the other tunes on the record even more. “Done Stealin” and “When You Are Near” are top-notch tunes.
Only By The Night by Kings of Leon was also enjoyed immediately but not all of the songs hit me like the Carolina Liar record. It took me a few listens to the Kings of Leon record to realize “Man – all of these tunes are great as well.” I will say that the previous 3 Kings Of Leon records do not strike me the Only By The Night. They aren’t bad, but I think Kings of Leon (3 brothers and a cousin) hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th with this record.
You can feel free to check out these records for yourself. They might not be your taste and then again they might.
So, if you check them out, let me know what you think.
The question remains: Will any songs from the 2 records make Wade’s Top 100 of all time?
Will the albums themselves make Wade’s Top 100 Albums of all time?
Only time will tell.


http://www.carolinaliar.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Liar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_leon

http://www.kingsofleon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment