Sunday, July 19, 2009

From Leslie to Sam...Phillips stays the constant

Music Monday (on a Sunday)

Did you ever hear of or listen to a young Christian music singer from the 80's named Leslie Phillips?
I listened to a lot of her music and enjoyed it. Especially her 1985 LP, Black and White in a Grey World. This album had the perfect mix of true spiritual tunes to melodic inquisitional hits. Songs moved me like "When the World is New", "Your Kindness" and the title song. Prior to that, she had 2 LPs that were pretty good too. After the 1985 album, Phillips recorded The Turning where she met her future husband T. Bone Burnett. I didn't keep up with Leslie Phillips much after the Black and White in a Grey World record.
One day in 1994, I heard a song by a female singer named Sam Phillips. The song was "I Need Love." I liked it straight away. I couldn't get the voice out of my head. That voice sounded so familiar. I would hear the song periodically on the radio but eventually I didn't really think about it anymore (the voice - I mean).
One day in early 2000, I was going through some old CD's and came across Recollection (a "best of" record by Leslie Phillips. I listened to a little of it and it hit me. Sam Phillips sounded a lot like Leslie. I did some research and yes, they are one in the same.
So I started digging a bit and looking to see why Leslie was Sam now and not Leslie. The song "I Need Love" sounded like it could be a Christan type song. It sounded 50/50. My research took me to a few different stories.
Leslie was tired of Myrrh (the Christian label) records trying to label her as a Christian Cyndi Lauper. she was not agreeing with of the road "the Church" was heading.
Who really knows, expect her.
One thing I know is, that regardless of Leslie or Sam, the music of the lady Phillips was, is and hopefully always will be great.
The music is the constant.
I enjoy breaking out the old Leslie tunes as well as the newer Sam songs.
You may have also seen her on one of the Die Hard movies. You may have also heard her doing some songs for and appearing on an episode of Gilmore Girls.
Check some out for yourself. I will tell you this, the song "I Need Love" is one of my favorites.
Here are some links for you to enjoy and get to know Leslie and Sam a little better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_White_in_a_Grey_World
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinis_and_Bikinis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Phillips_(musician)
http://www.samphillipsmusic.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment