Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Movie roller coaster...on the up swing!

Frost/Nixon and Evening and In The Valley of Elah



We do Netflix. We like it. But the movies are like a roller coaster. The ones on our queue all seem good (based on previews), but this isn’t always the case. We have been going through some “2 0r 3” movie spurts. We will get 2 or 3 “bad” or “so-so” in a row. But then, we will get 2 or 3 great movies in a row.
The last 3 movies we watched were on the “delightful” hill of the roller coaster.
In The Valley of Elah – starring Tommy Lee Jones and Charlize Theron.
Evening with Vanessa Redgrave, Natasha Richardson, Toni Collette and Claire Danes.
Frost/Nixon with Michael Sheen and Frank Langella.
The Tommy Lee Jones movie wasn’t as good as the other two, but it was worth the time.
Evening – we actually saw this twice. When I put it on the queue I didn’t realize we had seen it already, but I am glad we watched it twice. It was worth it.
This may go down in the “chick flick” category but probably not. A dying mother recounts her past love. Watch it for your self.
Frost/Nixon – this movie caused me to research. I love when a movie does that to me. I will also end up (who knows) spending money on amazon because of this movie. I was a kid when all of this went on. And even though I wrote a speech in college about how good of a President and man Richard Nixon was, I did not know this interview actually took place. Maybe my research was biased back then.
You can form your own opinion if I ever find the copy of the speech. It did work on the class. I persuaded them that he was indeed a good man and a good president. I would have loved to see Frost/Nixon on Broadway.
At least do yourself the favor and watch this movie.

Check out In The Valley of Elah on imdb.com http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478134/


Check out Evening on imdb.com http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765447/

Check out Frost/Nixon on imdb.com http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870111/

No comments:

Post a Comment