Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Son of Sam....Child of God

Son of Sam is now a Child of God
Something about serial killers interests me. You have to admit, something about the process – whether it is the acts themselves or the search and capture – peeks interest in people.
If it were not true, you wouldn’t see it on the news. You wouldn’t see movies – fact or fiction – about the subject.
I think what really fascinates me about these troubled people is the fact that like the adulterer, the idolater, the gossiper, the liar, the stealer, the evil dictator – they too (gruesome – no feeling serial killers) have a chance to make good and turn their lives over to Christ.
A While back I did a speech on Loving Your Enemies. In this, I said that very thing. No matter how hardened the heart, if a person is still breathing, they have a chance to be saved. I can’t remember, but I may have put that speech on this blog or the past blog. If not, I will post it in the future.
Anyway, this very morning, I was reading my daily devotional and low and behold, the subject was "Free Behind Bars."
David Berkowitz was sentenced to consecutive life sentences for killing 6 people (and wounded many others) in New York City. He was known as "Son of Sam." He was captured in 1977.
He did confess to the crimes so he could avoid the death penalty. Since then he has been denied parole several times.
About 10 years after his capture, a fellow inmate talked to him about Christ. He gave David Berkowitz a Bible.
Berkowitz said that the book changed his life. He said, "Everything seemed to hit me at once. The guilt from what I did…the disgust at what I had become…I got down on my knees and began to cry out…I asked Jesus to forgive me… A peace flooded over me…I knew that my life, somehow, was going to be different."
You can get some CDs and videos of his conversion through Focus on the Family.
A question for you to ponder.
Why should I accept that someone like David Berkowitz could be a genuine Christian?

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/18323/son-of-sam

No comments:

Post a Comment