Saturday, December 12, 2009

Clyde Hopkins

On a recent Memphis trip, we were strolling up and down Beale St. Before we left the downtown area we walked into Memphis Music. This is a remarkable store with just about everything from the Memphis Music scene (plus more). Whatever you want from the Blues to Cash to Elvis to King, they have it.
When we walked in, there was a little elderly gentlemen sitting at a rectangle card table with some CDs in front of him. Curious, I looked down and noticed the picture on the CD was him.
He looked at me and spoke a few words and handed me a CD. I didn’t really understand him (due to the loud music in the store) so I understood the CDs to be free. I did understand when he said he would autograph the CD (that and the fact that he was holding a sharpie). So I asked, How much? (Good thing) and he said $17.00. I thought about it and figure I probably wouldn’t get one. Then he said the music playing is him.
I am not that big into Blues but this stuff coming from the stores’ speakers was astounding. So I had him sign the CD and then I took a picture with him. I didn’t intend for him to stand up but he did. I watched him labor at standing up when other people took pictures with him. He stood up and we took the picture.
We have the CD and it is a regular listen at my office while I work.
I had no idea who Clyde Hopkins was before we walked in that store on Beale St. and I still don’t know much about him. I searched the web for information but there isn’t really much on him. But now – at least - I can listen to his music, and the music in my soul is better for it.
Note about the picture: I “RARELY” put pictures of myself on the Blog – in fact this is the first time. IF this shows up on facebook, I will go pick up Clyde and we will hunt you down!

Seriously, if you get a chance, check out Clyde Hopkins’ music. Blues fan or not, you will enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. Hey, Wade - so glad you're back to blogging! And thanks for the recommendation. I don't listen to blues as much as I used to, but I'll definitely check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought his CD at the same place 3 years ago, and I have a picture with him, I was visiting from California, great music!

    ReplyDelete