Thursday, October 1, 2009

THE AGONY..THE TORTURE..THE TORMENT..THE ANGUISH..THE SUFFERING..THE DISTRESS..THE PERSECUTION

The Agony, the Torture, the Torment, the Anguish, the suffering, the distress, the persecution…

What a title. No, it is describing my recent bout with Shingles (on my head and eye). The title is not describing my medieval battle I had in a dream once. It isn’t even describing the economy today (although it probably could).
Today’s Blog title is only describing one thing.
MY ________ ON THE CURRENT PLAY OF THE LOS ANGELES DODGERS.
COEM ONGUYS!!!!!!!!!
In the Dodgers last 9 games, they played 3 of the worst teams in baseball. They took 2 out of 3 from the lowly Nationals. Then they split the first 2 games (of a four game series) with the poor Pirates of Pittsburgh. Stressing…yes. Taxing…yes. BUT not too big of a deal. I figured "ok we have 4 games left (2 with Pittsburgh and 2 with the Padres). We win one and we win the West."
Well, they lost all 4 and with each lost the words of the title to this Blog grew in my head.
WHY?
If you watched the Dodgers (and didn’t know they did clinch at least a Wild Card berth…and did – and still does – barely – have the best record in the National League) during this 9 game stretch you would think they were the worst team in baseball. They did have a come from behind win in Washington DC, but they also squandered at least 2 late leads. Errors also cost them 2 of these games. Sometime I think the "D’ stands for Doom and the "LA" stands for Laugh At Wade.
Usually when a team I root for loses, I feel a little better when I read quotes from players or coaches on what may have gone wrong. I am trying in this case, but nothing I read is making me feel better.
So here we are.
As of last night’s action (for lack of a better word) the Rockies are nipping at our heels. They are 2.5 behind us. That is stressing.
The Rockies have a game tonight against the Brewers, then the Dodgers and Rockies play a 3 game series. After that the regular season is over.
If the Rockies win tonight, they can actually win the Division with a sweep of the Dodgers. Many experts say it won’t happen. I am not so sure. The Rockies play good – hard baseball – year round. The Dodgers, I feel, were looking ahead to a celebration that hasn’t happened. They should have wrapped up the Division a week ago but didn’t. So here we are, with less than a handful of games left, my heart rate is rising and my stomach is churning. All because of a sports team way out in California.
After every season – whether it is the Dodgers or LSU, I say I won’t watch sports again. Of course I know I am lying to myself.
When I grow up I really would like to stop stressing over sports (the LSU – Miss. St. game last Saturday probably cost me a few days).
So, I will not go to Dodgers.com or espn.com until Sunday night. Then I will not have to stress between now and then.
… On second thought, I will probably monitor the Rockies game tonight to see if they lose.
Stress!

No comments:

Post a Comment