Saturday, August 31, 2013

3 Meals

While strolling Magazine St (New Orleans) this weekend, we picked up a copy of the September 2013 issue of OFF BEAT magazine. 
This happened to be the food issue.
On page 20, the article "Desert Island Dish" caught my eye. The writers wrote about anxiety after Hurricane Katrina on whether or not they would ever be able to enjoy some of their favorite New Orleans dishes.
I honestly think most of us had that feeling. I know I did. What if some of our favorite restaurants would not re open? 
We did experience this some with restaurants not opening when others did. Some raising their prices just so they can keep the doors open. It was a rough time for the owners and their patrons. 
The writers of this article interviewed several people in the New Orleans music scene on what 3 dishes they would recommend you eat.......just in case something happens (like Katrina) and you won't get to eat them again. 
The article was quite interesting with dishes ranging from the Double-cut grilled pork chop from Houston's, to the Blackened redfish at Jacques-Imo's, to the Peacemaker po-boy at Mahoney's, to the Shrimp and Grits at Grand Isle.
It was a very mouth watering list. (You can check the article out. Pick a copy in the city or go to www.offbeat.com.)

As usual, reading this got me thinking about some of my favorite dishes.

I always say that if you told me I can go eat at one restaurant and then I would never eat again, I would have to go to Broussard's in the French Quarter.  It is THAT good.

What 3 dishes would I want to eat if I knew I could never eat again?
This was actually a very hard thing to think on. I have had so many great dishes in the city. 
So I helped myself by making my own rules. 
I picked my favorite dish (this was the easy part). Then I made myself put a sandwich on the list. And then my last choice would be something great, but not necessarily hard to get.
The 3 choices I came up with can be put in front of me at any time day or night and I would be happy.
Of course there were MANY dishes that didn't make the list, but thats not to say they didn't deserve to be on it. 
So here are my three choices: 

The Louisiana Bouillabaisse from BROUSSARD'S in the French Quarter. 
http://www.broussards.com/
This is my favorite dish from my favorite place. It is a tomato saffron stock, chock full of fresh Louisiana seafood. I can literally die aft eating this. I get this dish ( except for three occasions) each time we go to Broussard's. I love it.

My next choice is a sandwich. 
The Corned Beef and Swiss ( with those delicious French fries at CAFE MASPERO in the French Quarter. 

Really you can't go wrong with anything at MASPERO. But this sandwich is my favorite. Also, I would have the get a bowl of their French onion soup. Every time!

My last choice is something you can get all over the USA. It is BBQ. But not just any ole BBQ. 
I LOVE the Brisket plate with 2 sides from UGLY DOG SALOON in New Orleans' Warehouse District. 
When you first step into the Ugly Dog, your nose will tell you that your belly will be happy.
The menu is small so it is easy on your brain. Each dish comes with 2 sides. I always get the Chilli beans (served in a mug) and either the Slaw or Potato salad. Since this is my blog, I will take both. The food is cheap and Awesome. 


Again, this list was hard but the three dishes chosen would make my stomach happy.
I could have picked several others. But this is my list.
I thank God often for the blessing of being born and raised in a wonderful area with so much great food. 
Not being biased but we are truly blessed to live in South Louisiana. 
So until your next Crawfish Boil or your next eating trip to the city, Aways thank the Good Lord for what you have and never take for granted the blessings He gives you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment