Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Power of "The Rose"

The Power of The Rose
One of my favorite people to watch in movies or on TV is Bette Midler. She just has that thing about her. Her songs, however, aren’t my favorites. She does have some good original tunes out there and I do like some a lot. She has done some good cover classics and The Divine Miss M from 1972 was a pretty good album.
So why am I writing about a Bette Midler song? The other night I had the Rhapsody going on the laptop and various tunes were playing on it. I cam across a Michael Sweet (do you remember Stryper?) album where he does a bunch of cover tunes. He does some old Stryper ballads along with a Billy Joel tune and some other great classic hits. One of the other tunes he covers on this record is Bette Midler’s The Rose.
So we are sitting there listening to it and I pull up the lyrics. I do have to tell you while reading the lyrics I was blown away. I’m not some glamorous boo-hoo sap. And I have heard this song numerous times. But hearing it here and reading the words did something.
I just have to share that the lyrics to this song are breathtaking. The words are artistic and strong. They are picturesque. The song portrays love in so many ways with just a few words. So read these words, but do one better. Listen to the song while reading the words. I guarantee you will be singing. And you will probably think about the song more than you may have in the past.
Or you might not.


The Rose
Some say love, it is a riverthat drowns the tender reed.
Some say love, it is a razorthat leaves your soul to bleed.
Some say love, it is a hunger,an endless aching need.
I say love, it is a flower,and you its only seed.
It's the heart afraid of breakingthat never learns to dance.
It's the dream afraid of wakingthat never takes the chance.
It's the one who won't be taken,who cannot seem to give,
and the soul afraid of dyin'that never learns to live.
When the night has been too lonelyand the road has been too long,
and you think that love is onlyfor the lucky and the strong,
just remember in the winterfar beneath the bitter snows
lies the seed that with the sun's love
in the spring becomes the rose.



1 comment:

  1. How funny. I woke up with this song in my head this morning for no reason I can think of, and now I run across it here as I'm catching up with your old posts. Great minds...

    ReplyDelete